Grief

Monday, February 13, 2012


     This article was already in development when the news of Whitney Houston's death made headline news. I am posting this article a day early because I can't express the depth of my sadness when hearing, as reported on NBC's Today Show this morning, that Miss Houston had been taking benzodiazepines. This drug can lead to tolerance, dependency and horrible withdrawal effects and yet they are considered a "pretty normal prescription", a quote attributed to LA's assistant chief coroner, Ed Winter, involved with investigating Miss Houston's death. And THAT is what frightens me.
     I had promised myself that I would not use this blog as a soap-box yet with recent developments involving this very drug class I just can't help myself. It is an insidious drug that is doled out as a candy prescription without thought regarding its capability to destroy lives.
     I am not a crusader. Really, I'm not. However, prior to Miss Houston's death I had been pondering another recent revelation, via msnbc's prime time news cast of January 25, 2012, regarding the attempt of "scientists" to have grief labeled as a mental illness, and it has my hackles up. I feel confident in assuming those "scientists" are on the payroll of the largest drug companies out there. What better way to reach a larger potential population with a drug that can create a self sustaining income. What is the front-line drug for something everyone experiences, grief and anxiety - benzodiazepines!
     And this is frightening - no terrifying - because a drug class such as this is nothing to be trifled with. Drugs like this are designed and targeted for very specific centers in the brain - which can lead to addiction and dependency. Those who are intolerant of such drugs, when exposed, fall victim to a most hellacious experience. A mere percentage point on the scale of medical progress. All well and good, unless you are one of them.
     My experience with the drug class benzodiazepine is not uncommon (read My Story and it's allegory Benny). It is reported that 5% of those exposed to this drug class will have adverse reactions. Some severe. I believe that is most likely not an accurate % due to the fact that once the reaction occurs the victim may be misdiagnosed as having a mental disorder. And once that step has been taken the medical community ceases to look for the real answer and treats the victim accordingly...with antidepressants and, likely as not, more benzodiazepines. I speak from experience. Although I insisted surgery was the benchmark of my experience, and asked repeatedly what I had been given during surgery that could cause a reaction such as mine, I was never taken seriously. NO ONE checked! But I did - once I got off the drug and got well - nearly 1 1/2 years later, I requested and received my anesthesia records from that surgery. I had been given midazolam (benzodiazepine), a common practice during surgery.
     I am not saying this/these drugs have no place in treatment. I am saying I believe there are many more out there than the purported 5% who are intolerant. And what terrifies me about grief being labeled as a mental illness is MANY more will fall victim to the vicious effects of this drug unnecessarily. Classifying grief as a mental disorder would be a very slippery slope.
Wisdom says ordinary grief is NOT a mental disorder but a natural response to loss. I dare say none have escaped it. Most get through it without drugs. I pray for intervention that would prevent such a categorization. It would be dancing with the devil - a dance no one wants.  And grief of another sort.
     My heart grieves for the family of Whitney Houston, and Miss Houston herself, if proven she had been battling the benzodiazepine demon alone. It is a victory that can be won.
     We must be wary and informed. Not all prescriptions considered "normal" are harmless.

1 comments:

Sudden Leigh said...

You are so right - Health does not come through pharmaceutical drugs.
There is a time and a place for them, however the criteria for administering them should be extremely strict.
Drugs are being handed out like candy for every ailment, real or imagined and the most petrifying of all - the "created" ailment, as you pointed out in your blog.

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts on the subject?